195: Things Parents Of Multiple Children Overlook
Today we’re talking about some of the biggest pitfalls around big families or families in general, as well as some warning flags that the health of your family may not really be that healthy in the long term. It may show up later if we are not in tune to some of these little stages of development or some pitfalls that we can fall into as parents or overlook when it comes to raising our children. If we see themes that are consistently showing up in families where the children aren’t talking to or resenting their parents as adults, we start to question what can we do when it comes to parenting our own children that sets us up for having a rich, encouraging relationship for life and our children not feeling like we messed them up. These are just some things that have stuck out to us.
It is extremely necessary to be vigilant as a parent day in and day out. If the Lord has given us these children to steward, He is also going to give us the grace and wisdom to be able to raise them. Once we become a parent, we are always a parent. It’s not over at 18 or when our children get married and leave the home. A parent that is always there when you need them is an incredible gift to a child at any stage of life.
We think the number one pitfall in families is ultimately parents who don’t have a humility before Christ and a dependency upon Him and think that they have all the answers. God is the only one who can guide us in this way with our kids. It’s not a program or more people would be doing it right. Parenting is a big, long and exciting journey. It’s filled with so much joy, as well as so much unknown as to what is going to happen. Being aware of these pitfalls and warnings can hopefully help you along the way to be a successful parent in the days ahead!
Things mentioned in the video:
- "The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts" by Gary Chapman -
- Screen Free Family Evening Routine // Winter 2023 //Family of Six -
- "When your Child is 6 to 12" by John Drescher -
- Chad and Jenise Johnson's (Katie's parents) Newlywed Workshop -
Bible passages on parenting:
- Deuteronomy 6:7 - "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."
- Proverbs 22:6 - "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
- Ephesians 6:4 - "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."
Top 5 Tuesday
Join our weekly email list to keep up to date with the highlights of what is going on in our family life.
Looking for more Now That We're A Family resources? We got 'em!
OUR FAMILY MUSIC ACADEMY: https://www.voetbergmusicacademy.com
Is your life just too complicated to ever feel peaceful?
Check out Katie's: https://getitalldoneclub.com